To most of us, summer means swimming, cookouts, concerts, and fairs. Unfortunately, it also means fighting swarms of insects that want to feast on you. Since some individuals don’t like using chemical insect repellents that contain DEET, here are some natural ways that may help prevent you from getting bit.
- Several days before you will be taking a camping trip or hike through a bug-filled territory, start eating garlic. You can also get the same effect by sprinkling garlic powder around your home if you don’t want garlic breath.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- If you know you will be spending time outdoors, start taking 1 teaspoon three times a day. You may also moisten a cloth or cotton ball with white vinegar and rub it on exposed skin.
- Cinnamon- Sprinkling cinnamon around the house is a great way to keep bugs out. Also consider sprinkling some in kid’s sandboxes.
- Vanilla- Dilute one tablespoon of vanilla extract and mix it with water and wipe the mixture on exposed skin. You can also add lemongrass extract, lavender, or mint extracts to the mixture too.
- Onions- Slice up some onions, put them in a bowl of water, and the bugs will run far away! You can also use onion plants in your garden to keep the bugs from attacking other plants. Also, if you don’t mind the smell, you may rub the onion on exposed skin.