Dr. Matt Leavitt, Executive Chairman and Founder of Advanced Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery is a board-certified dermatologist, hair restoration and hair loss specialist. He is recognized both nationally and internationally as an accomplished physician, surgeon, educator, clinical researcher, lecturer, author and humanitarian.
In addition to Advanced Dermatology, Dr. Leavitt also founded Medical Hair Restoration (MHR), a national company for surgical hair transplantation which he grew into the second largest hair restoration practice in the country. When MHR merged with Bosley, Dr. Leavitt became Executive Medical Advisor for the combined group – the largest of its kind in the world.
Dr. Leavitt’s vision led to the development of Advanced Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery’s research division which has undertaken numerous studies for major pharmaceutical companies ranging from skin cancer and melanoma to several related to hair loss and products.
Dr. Leavitt is dedicated to education and developing new physicians and clinicians. He is the Founder and Chairman of the KCU-GME/ADCS Orlando Dermatology Residency Program. He also established a dermatology fellowship program for physician assistants and nurse practitioners.
He has served as President of the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology (AOCD) and is a founding father of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery, where he served as its first Vice President. Dr. Leavitt was also one of the founding members and is President of the Hair Foundation.
A strong proponent of the value of products to reinforce hair and skin health needs, Dr. Leavitt has researched and developed a full skin care product line, R|Essentials, which is available in his offices. This scientifically researched regimen is produced under FDA manufacturing standards and is formulated to treat all types of skin, from youthful to mature, as well as to address medical conditions such as rosacea and acne. A more extensive line of products, PROSCRIPTIX FX®, based upon new formulations is now available and can be purchased here or in our offices.
Dr. Leavitt has received numerous grants and awards including the prestigious Golden Follicle, from the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons. He has been featured as the cover article for The Dermatologist, and has also authored numerous articles for dermatology, hair and cosmetic dermatology journals, as well as authoring chapters in textbooks.
He is a member of a host of professional groups and societies including the American Academy of Dermatology, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (Founder), The American Osteopathic Association and the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology (Past President).
Dr. Leavitt has served as Chapter President of the Central and Northeast Florida Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation and as a member of the National Board of Trustees for the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America. He has spoken before Congress about issues pertaining to these debilitating diseases.
In addition to his other awards, Dr. Leavitt was a finalist in the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Awards and has won numerous regional and national recognitions for his contributions to the medical community and business.
American Academy of Dermatology
- American Osteopathic College of Dermatology (AOCD) - Former President
- North American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery and Restorative Surgery - Former Advisor and Trustee
- American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery - a Founder and Former Vice President
- World Hair Society - Founder
- Hair Foundation - a Founder and Current President
- International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery - Elected Past Board of Governors, Chairman and Committee Chair of Orlando Live Surgery Workshop
- ADCS - Founder of Largest Dermatology practice in US
- Orlando Live Surgery Workshop (hair)-Founder/Chairman 19 yrs- International forum
- ISHRS Golden Follicle - Prestigious award given by peers in hair transplantation, plus three research grants**Merck and Pharmacia: educational monographs
- Italian Society of Hair Restoration - Received Milestone Award - twice
- National Education Foundation - Chosen to train physicians nationally on use of BOTOX®
- Erbium CO2 Laser - Selected to research and evaluate use in hair transplantation
- Pioneered “zipper closure and crosshatching” techniques used in hair transplantation and invented numerous surgical instruments
- Connetics - developer of dermatology medication - Former Clinical Advisor **Association for Corporate Growth - Outstanding Corporate Business Award
- Florida Medical Business Journal - Recipient Physician Business Leadership Award; chose Advanced Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery “Best Dermatology Practice”
- Florida Business Week- Honored ADCS several times: patient care and management
- Lexington International- HairMax LaserComb - Special Consultant
- Merck Pharmaceutical Original study for hair-growth drug Propecia
- Pfizer (now Johnson and Johnson) - Former Advisory Board Member
- Abbott and Allergan - Member Advisory Boards and national speaker: dermatology
- ADCS Research Division for pharmaceutical trials and testing - Founder
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American Hair Loss Council
- Premier Hair Show
- European Cosmetic Surgeons
- Masters Teaching Workshop, Mexico
- European Society of Hair Restoration
- Orlando Live Surgery Workshop
- American Association of Anti-Aging **ISHRS
- Multi-Specialty Foundation for Facial Aesthetic Surgical Excellence
- Edited special editions of the International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery (3 times)
- “Corrective Hair Surgery” chapter for the medical textbook Hair Restoration 1st edition and “Follicle Facts” for the 4th edition
- “Scalp Anatomy” and “The Consultation Process” for Hair Transplantation 4th edition
- Hair Transplantation textbook 5th edition three chapters
- Lasers and Non-Surgical Rejuvenation textbook: “Low-Level Laser Therapy” chapter
- Authored: Women and Hair Loss: A Physician’s Perspective, for consumers and referenced as a source in medical books - Reviewed by Richard Simmons
- Authored: Children and Hair Loss: A Physician’s Perspective (2013), for consumers
- Clinical Assistant Professor in Dermatology: University of Central Florida, University of Florida and NOVA Southeastern University where he is a preceptor for the Physician Assistant Program
- Speaker: Dermatology Grand Rounds, UF and FL Society Derm Physician Assistants
- Interviewed by Forbes, Men’s Vogue, Parents Magazine, International Herald Tribune, MD News, Cosmetic Surgery Times, 20/20, WGN, New Beauty, MuscleMag, WMMO, Healthy Aging, NBC iVillage, Men’s Health, Orlando Business Journal, USA Today, LA Times, Dallas Morning News, VIVA! Magazine for Hispanic Women
- Appeared: America’s Health Network*CBS “The Early Show”*The Learning Channel
- Sponsor Ronald McDonald House & Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation (CCFA)
- Annual golf tournament, Orlando (7 times)
- CCFA Chair of Take Steps, Orlando
- National Board Member CCFA
- Graduate: University of Michigan and Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Residency: Ohio University Grandview Medical Center